PRESBYTERIAN WOMEN Synod of the Mid-Atlantic Present the
2017 Summer Gathering ~ June 15-18, 2017
Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. ~Hebrews 12:1
Featuring The Rev. Denise Anderson & The Rev. Lynn Miller
Find more in-depth information on these workshops on the PW website at
and on Facebook at PWSSG.
Register Now using the forms found at www.pwsynodmidatlantic.org/services
To be held at Massanetta Springs Camp and Conference Center, Harrisonburg,Virginia 22801
Sample of the Workshops
1. Horizons Bible Study– The Rev. Lynn Miller -2018 Horizons Bible Study,Cloud of Witnesses: The community of Christ in Hebrews. Lynn will share ideas and tips for effectively leading the Bible Study.
2. We Choose Welcome– Carolyn Thalman,Presbyterian Disaster Assistance. Responding to the refugees at our door.Learn how refugees come to the U.S.from the Middle East,Central America , etc.and how they are, or are not,welcomed.Hear how PDA is responding to the refugees at our doors.
3. What’s in your Treasury? -Rhonda Martin, Financial Manager PW in the PC (USA},Inc. Overview of the new Treasurer’s manual and responsibilities of treasurers in the congregation,Presbytery and Synod. Good for all leaders to address all things PW! Download the manual and bring it with you.
4. Challenging Racism, Materialism and Militarism– Racial Ethic Dialogue Panel.New strategies & long-term solutions to address these triple threats to realize racial transformation in our communities.
5. Stand for Freedom: How to Counteract Human Trafficking– Sabrina Dorman-Andrew, New Creation VA. An in-depth look at trafficking along with ways you can make an impact right where you are.
6. Waking Up White Conversations–
The Rev. Denise Anderson,Co- Moderator of the 222 General Assembly (2016) of the PC (U.S.A.)- The Co-Moderators are urging Presbyterians via their “One Church, One Book” project to read and discuss Waking Up White and Finding Myself in the Story of Race by Debby Irving. The conversations about race have been in silos but the hope is that conversations will broaden to include groups of different backgrounds and races.
7. Stories from the Ages:Intergenerational Dialogue for Everyone
Hillary Mohaupt,Horizons writer.Baby boomers, generation Xers, and millennials- we all work welltogether,except for when we don’t. An intergenerational dialogue willbe an opportunity to listen,share and hopefully laugh together.
8. The Belhar Confession- Celebrating the Faith We Share- Betty Dax Great confessions invite Christians to come together,affirming and celebrating the beliefs we share.The Belhar Confession was written as a Christian response to apartheid in South Africa. Explore this confession as a vehicle to celebrate worldwide Christian unity.
9. Children In Crisis: Why We Do What We Do–
Jack and Lora Morgan, Presbyterian Children’s Home of the Highlands – Learn the root causes of the breakdown of the family structure,where children go when they are removed from their home and explore the current state of the Foster Care System.You’ ll hear the stories of young people succeeding against overwhelming odds.
10. Energizing PW–
Mary Cook Jorgensen.Go beyond theice breakers and fun and games. Explore ways to open your PW groups to new members while revitalizing the current membership.
11. We Choose Welcome-
Carolyn Thalman,Presbyterian Disaster Assistance.
Honoring Jesus’ call:Welcoming Central American Children Fleeing Violence,
Luis Cardona. This workshop will remind us of our love.
Building Bridges to the LGBT Community
-W. Bryce Hayes,James Madison University.Explore ways to engage members of the LGBT community in the ministry and membership of your church. Leadership training suggestions will also be shared as we become more inclusive in the body of Christ.
What’sin your Treasury? – Rhonda Martin,Financial manager PW in the PC(USA), Inc.(See workshopA3}
The Belhar Confession – Celebrating the Faith We Share – Betty Dax. (See workshop 83)
Children in Crisis, Why We Do What We Do
-Jack and Lora Morgan, Presbyterian Children’s Home of the Highlands. (See workshop 84}
Breathe I- Alanna Brewton, Breathe, LLC- yoga for everyone. Dress comfortably and bring a mat and a towel.
Make a Joyful Noise I
-Gathering Choir with Lindsay Sensabaugh 3.Getting Out of Auto I- Michael Martin, Me Memories Photograph let your creativity take hold. Bring your cameras and your flash.
Quilting in the Spirit I Fabric Circles Make Hexagons
-Carol Winkler, Moderator for PW Churchwide Coordinating Team. Make a 20″ flower garden pillow top. Bring 1/3 yard of 4 different fabrics for flowers,4-8″ contrasting squares (flower centers) and 1 yd. solid colored fabric for joining flowers and pillow back. Bring scissors, needle,and thread to blend with your flowers.
Praise His Name With Dancing!
– Terry Dunevant. Liturgical dance.All levels, shapes and hearts welcomed.Wear yoga pants and a T-shirt,or something that allows freedom of movement.
Witness? Me? YES, US
-Joan Berry. Walking,drawing,or using a hand labyrinth is about conversations with God that involve “listening”. Come and seek that walk and talk with the Spirit.
Massanetta Work Group- Massanetta Staff
Enjoy a part of God’s creation for a while and help Massanetta at the same time! Spend some time painting,working in the flowerbeds,or helping somew here else that will make a difference in Massanetta’s summer mission. Bring clothes you can get dirty in, and work gloves will also be useful. Tools,brushes, etc. will be provided for all work needed. Project specifics available about two weeks before the Summer Gathering.